Married to the Empire

Monday, February 2, 2009

Star Wars???

For those who enjoy coming here for the Star Wars stuff, you've obviously noticed that there hasn't been any lately. Blame the stormtroopers. I just report what they do, which lately, hasn't been much. However, a few of them came over this weekend to start planning events for All-Con in March. Steven is one of the ones in charge of Stormtrooper Olympics Imperial Gladiators this year. The challenges are being prepared, and here's a sneak peek at one of the events:



Those are "lightsabers" made of the very high-tech materials of pool noodles and dowel rods. Impressive, don't you think? Ha! Without giving away too much, stormtroopers who compete as Gladiators will have to avoid being hit with these.

Steven said I should tell you all that you can easily make your own set for under $5. I'm sure you all desperately wanted your own foam pool-noodle lightsabers. But, you know, if you want to let your kids beat the snot out of each other with something safer than plastic or their fists, here you go!

Just be careful that the collecting of materials doesn't kill you first. After I came out of the chemically-laden pool-supply store sputtering and sneezing my head off, I told Steven that that must be what evil smells like--a heavy mix of chlorine and plastic. I sneezed and gasped for air for the next few minutes, and he told me I'm dramatic. He tells me that a lot, and I just don't get it. I really think that must be the scent of evil!

As I've said before, life around here is never dull.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having us over Saturday night. Your homemade tomato soup & bread were delicious!! Then your dessert....the best apple crisp I've ever had! Your always a wonderful hostess to us nerds. :)
Kameron

Thirsty said...

In the summer, you can find these at toy stores or in toy sections and avoid the chlorine altogether.

I used the noodles during a week-long summer class on Ancient Greece with 11-13yo at a local museum during our section on military developments. The phalanx didn't hold for very long. Those kids just wanted to wallop on each other - they loved it!