Married to the Empire

Friday, December 11, 2009

Children's Hospital Visit

Every year before the Capital One Adolphus Children's Parade in downtown Dallas, there is a party at Children's Medical Center of Dallas for the patients. The stormtroopers are always invited to the party, which took place last Friday, and I have to say that this is my favorite part of their involvement with this parade. Last year's visit was what finally made me able to be thankful, as the bible says we should be in all things, for my husband's kidney disease.

The guys started out at the party taking pictures with people (including this year's Miss America) and doing crafts with the kiddos.








I took my typical picture with R2.



The hospital wanted R2-D2 and The Stormtrooper with Kidney Disease to go upstairs to visit the kiddos on dialysis. My husband now has a special reputation at Children's. It's hard to see kids receiving dialysis, as it's a tough thing for them to go through, but it's always neat to see their expressions when my stormtrooper tells them that he has kidney disease, too. I got a cute a shot of Steven in the dialysis room giving a thumbs up with one of the patients.



We headed up to a different hospital ward to visit a particular patient who is a huge Star Wars fan. I didn't have permission to photograph this kiddo, so you can't see it, but trust me when I say the look on his face was priceless when R2 rolled into his room unexpectedly, followed by a stormtrooper. What cracked me up was the medical staff. Suddenly, there was a gaggle of doctors and nurses in the hallway, and they all wanted pictures with the Star Wars characters!




Another great year visiting at Children's. As I said before, this is my favorite part of the whole parade experience, and it's a great way to kick off the Christmas holidays.

1 comment:

Thirsty said...

Who would've thought that playing dress-up as a foot soldier for the Dark Side of the Force would allow him an opportunity to encourage the most innocent of us. Isn't God good?