Married to the Empire

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Eating pretty

Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer is holding an impromptu dish carnival, which means I get to show off my dishes.

First up is the fine china we registered for when we married. It's Royal Doulton's Oxford Blue. After disagreeing on almost every set of dishes we saw (what does the man have against pink???), this set made us both happy with its simple elegance:



The everyday dishes we registered for are Pfaltzgraff's Amalfi. This pattern was all the rage in the 90s, but it's looking a tad dated these days. I still like it, though:



Last, we have my parents' wedding china, which is Noritake's Vienne. My parents are still very much alive and happily married; they just have a weird obsession with dishes. Once they had something like 12 or 14 sets of dishes, they had to get rid of some. I happily took the wedding china:



I used to have a set of white everyday dishes, but too many were broken or cracked, so I got rid of them. As I had 2 sets of fine china sitting unused in my cabinets, I decided to get brave: I use my parents' wedding china as everyday dishes, and I put them in the dishwasher, platinum band and all. You know what? They're not at all harmed by that daring action! I'm now considering trying it with my wedding china!

6 comments:

Edi said...

Love your wedding china! I think food looks better when it's on a simple plate rather than something busy with flowers covering it.

I'm glad you're using your parents wedding china for everyday use! There is just so much people have that they never use and keep locked up and don't even get to appreciate the beauty of it.

Anonymous said...

I really like the set from your parents-very elegant.

Nancy said...

I think my computer has the hiccups...sorry if this comment is a duplicate.

I love that you use your parents' wedding china everyday. What a treat!

Anonymous said...

I love your parents wedding china, but I am partial to Noritake. Our wedding chine is Noritake and my husband usually washes it by hand. That and the fact I have 3 sons should tell you how often we use that. I have my grandmothers china but it is very flowery so it is still in a box in the attic. Our everyday is a mishmosh of corelle and mickey mouse. (I am not counting the plastic star wars plates the kids have.)

Ann said...

That's one thing we never did. Eric and I did not register for china. I haven't gotten new or different dishes since we've been married, 12 years. That sounds like fun! But I have no clue what I would pick out.

Kimberly said...

you have pretty wedding china!