Married to the Empire

Friday, February 19, 2010

Youth Work and Cat Obligations

Life has been busy around here. We have a little thing called Disciple Now this weekend with our youth group. While I will be with the students most of the weekend, I'm in more of a support role. I'm feeding dinner to the college team tonight who is coming in to lead our students. I'm also feeding lunch on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday to everyone. It's a lot of work, to be honest. Planning for all of this has kept me insanely busy.

I'm not staying overnight with the kiddos, though, because of these guys:



Well, more specifically because of Calvin. He needs medicine, and someone has to give it to him. We do have friends who can administer meds, but the one who does it most easily is hosting our high school girls in her home this weekend. But that's okay. I truly prefer to sleep in my own bed and wash in my own shower. And as much as our cats like their "aunts" and "uncles," they prefer me or Steven.

Calvin saw the vet yesterday for a kidney and bladder checkup. Unfortunately, he peed on the bed last week. He's got a small bladder infection again. The good news is that the vet said that on a scale of 1-10, it's a 1. We're just doubling the dosage of his daily antibiotic to try to knock this out.

The greater news is that his kidney levels are slightly improved, and he's gained weight! I'm most excited about the weight gain, as he's just skin-and-bones these days. Our lights started flickering last week during the snowstorm, and I worried that our electricity would go out. Calvin needs his heated pillow at night, and we didn't trust him not to pee in the bed if the cats needed to snuggle with us for warmth. Thankfully, we didn't lose power. And he's not as skinny as he was. God is good!

2 comments:

Thirsty said...

In your picture . . . is that two cats, or one? [teehee]

Sue said...

I love the picture of your two headed cat! And am glad to hear that even though he's got an infection, Calvin has some positive stuff going on, too! Hooray Calvin!