Married to the Empire

Monday, April 30, 2007

Health insurance

Ruf quit his job a few weeks ago for a new one. Because he's not eligible for health benefits at his new company until June 1st, we're paying for COBRA. It's a lot of money. I don't really mind the money so much. Health insurance is costly, and it's important to have it, especially since I suffer from migraines and hypothyroidism. Ruf has kidney disease, so it's even more important for him to have insurance at all times.

My problem with this transition is that it takes so darned long for COBRA to kick in, and we essentially wind up paying the first month of it just to have the privilege of saying our insurance didn't lapse. I sent in our check for insurance 2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't gone through! I need to refill some prescriptions in the next few days, and I really don't want to have to pay full price. Yes, I know that we'll be reimbursed for it... eventually. But when we're already paying almost $1000 for insurance, I'd like not to have to pay full price out-of-pocket right now!

I'm trying to have patience with this process. Really, I am! But it's hard knowing that we have medical needs that need to be attended to pretty quickly.

No comments: