Married to the Empire

Monday, July 12, 2010

Weekend Thrifting

A new thrift store opened up close to my home, and it boasts a department store feel with thrift store prices. Hmmm. I finally checked it out on Friday. The ads were right; it does have more of a department store feel, especially as clothing was displayed neatly on tons of racks, and everything was organized according to size. I rarely look for clothes at thrift stores because I don't have the patience to dig, but this store made it easy. Besides, I was inspired by the Frugal Homemaker's video of her latest thrift store clothing finds.

I wound up buying three skirts. A black J. Crew skirt was a mere $2. A brown Talbot's skirt (that looked brand-new) was $4. A Hanna Andersson holiday-looking plaid skirt was $4. All in great condition.



(Please ignore the fact that I laid everything out for display on my kitchen floor. A certain Sick Kitty peed all over the bag I brought them home in. I still need to wash the skirts, and there was no way I was laying them on a less-washable surface after getting hit with cat urine. I'd also shoved some DVDs my pastor lent to me in that bag. Those got the brunt of the attack, so I now own Monk Season 1, and my pastor's family is getting a new set. The things I put up with...)

I wasn't impressed with this new thrift store when it came to housewares, though. That's my favorite thing to look at in thrift stores, as I keep hoping for another amazing find, like the brand-new Le Creuset casserole I found last year for only $11. This new store had a very paltry housewares section, and most of it was overpriced. Bummer.

Oh! I just remembered that two weeks ago I found this great little cast-iron skillet in my favorite thrift store. I can't remember, but I think I paid $4 for it.



I gave it a good washing and scrubbing (yes, I even used soap, which I know is a big no-no, but it's used), then I reseasoned it. Love it! I think it might be old, but I'm not sure. This is the underside.



I'm linking up to Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl. Love here blog! Check it out if you've never visited before. She finds way cooler stuff than I do.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Nice finds! Your skirts are lovely!

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Great skirts. And I have a cat who sounds like a cousin to yours!