Married to the Empire

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Birthday Pendants

My niece Emily is turning 10, and she wanted typical tween stuff for her birthday: clothes, jewelry, shoes, etc.  I leave the clothes-buying to Grandma and Grandpa, but I can handle accessories! 

Emily likes bling, so I decided to make a pendant with some pink (her favorite color--smart girl, just like her aunt!), her initial, and some rhinestones. 


You can't see it terribly well.  I still haven't figured out how to do lighting and whatnot to get a decent picture.  This pendant was actually attempt #3.  The first one failed because in my zeal to get out all the bubbles from the diamond glaze that is covering the whole thing, the rhinestones flipped over to their backsides.  The second attempt failed because I did her initial with dye ink instead of pigment ink.  The diamond glaze caused it to run.  Attempt #3 was the best of the lot, but still not perfect.  I think I should have coated the paper backing with Mod Podge or something because I think the colors ran a bit in the diamond glaze.  (Gee, are we seeing a theme here regarding diamond glaze?!)  Also, somehow the rhinestones kind of lost their bling in the diamond glaze.  Not sure what's up with that, but it is what it is. 

I also made her a Texas pendant out of shrink paper. 


Well, two pendants, actually, that she can switch out on a pink chain.  I have a really awesome Texas-shaped paper punch, so I punched out shrink paper, shrank it down, added a little heart in the approximate area of Dallas, then covered it all in diamond glaze, which was not problematic for once.  I dusted some silver glitter on the white one for a little extra bling.  (This kid, like her aunt, loves sparkle!)

Hopefully, she liked her necklaces.  I also gave her some awesome flowered hair accessories that I will show how to make in my next blog post.

4 comments:

Nat said...

Those are so cute, Ann Marie! I bet she loved them!!

Nat said...

Correction: Anne Marie ;)

Manueb said...

Hi! Can I ask you where you found the TX paper punch? Desperately looking for one!!! Thx!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the great article. I have found these Graduation Gifts For Her very informative. A lot of seniors are wanting to receive their graduation gifts as a birthday presents.