Married to the Empire

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Nursery Name Banner

We didn't really intend to have a theme in the nursery, but it sort of morphed into a space theme after I found some awesome spacey artwork.  Even better, I found some great scrapbook paper that fit the theme, as well.  To make wall decor affordable, we framed some of that scrapbook paper, and I also used some to make a name banner to hang above the crib. 

I started with some chipboard banner pieces I bought at Stamp Asylum in Plano.  (I'm a tad obsessed with that store.)  Because all of our picture frames in the nursery are black, I didn't want brown borders on the banner.  I bought some black distress stain and covered the edges of the chipboard.


Next, I made a template from cardstock and used it to trace onto scrapbook paper.  (The robot paper is my husband's favorite.)  I wouldn't ordinarily trace on the front of the paper, but I wanted to make sure everything was nice and straight with the designs.  I then cut out the paper. 



Next, I applied Mod Podge to the back of the paper and adhered it to the chipboard.




While all that was drying, I got out my handy-dandy Sizzix machine and cut out letters and stars. 



Then I painted Mod Podge all over my cutouts and sprinkled liberally with glitter.  I made a colossal mess in the process.  Usually I love glitter, but today, I was hating it.  Must be a pregnancy thing. 



Also a pregnancy thing (or maybe it was just because I was too covered in glitter), I forgot to take any pictures of the next few steps.  I Mod Podged all over the top of the banner pieces with the scrapbook paper adhered.  Then I glued on all the glittery bits.  Finally, I took it all out to the garage to spray everything with some clear sealer, as I don't want bits of glitter falling onto my baby. 

With the banner pieces completed, I just needed to punch holes for the ribbon, then string it together.




Here's my super-simple secret for attaching bows to a banner and making loops for hanging.  Tie bows, then flip them over and slip a twist tie through the back of it.



Next, make a loop in the hanging ribbon, and twist the twist tie around it.  It makes a secure loop and keeps the bow attached to the ribbon. 




Trim any ribbon ends you want, and voila!  All done!  Ready for hanging. 




(Don't worry; it's only hanging on the crib for picture-taking purposes.  It will go on the wall above the crib, with all strings safely out of reach of baby.)

I'm linking this post with Mod Podge Rocks, a very fun blog for Mod Podge projects.  Be sure to visit there and take a look around.  Lots of great stuff over there!

3 comments:

*carrie* said...

Great job, Anne Marie! Very creative.

Beth S said...

Looks great! My kids (and I) also really liked the robot/space theme items. I've found great sheets and pillowcases - 100% cotton, not scratchy poly - at companykids.com. We have/used to have pirates, rockets, trucks, maps, etc. It can be expensive so watch for sales.

nfghfh said...

The Nike Shox NZ 2.0 SI is great shoe Tiger Shoes for heavy runners and walkers. If you are a big man, the Nike Shox NZ 2.0 SI will work a lot better than the Nike Max Airs. If you have never worn Nike Shox before, Franklin Marshall Store then you will need to know that the shoe is not as comfortable right out of the box. You must "break your Shox in". Once the Shox are broke in, D&G sunglasses they tend to be more comfortable and durable for heavier people. Lighter people may want to stick to the Nike Air Max shoes.