Married to the Empire

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Making use of leftovers

Saturday night a friend and I hosted a very-belated birthday party for our husbands. We served fajitas, black beans, fresh guacamole, and a dessert I can't remember the name of but it involves apples, pastry dough, and hard sauce (butter and sugar). We were left with a bit of food after the party.

This week is a little crazy because it's the last week of summer freedom for the kids in our youth group. The youth minister is calling this week The Last Blast Before Class, and we have activities every day. This means that we won't be home most evenings this week for me to cook dinner. This is where those weekend leftovers really come in handy!

Last night's dinner consisted of baked potatoes and salad. I chopped up leftover fajita chicken for the potatoes. Delicious!

I also cooked up a small pot of brown rice to put in the fridge. The black beans I'd cooked on Saturday with a little green pepper, onion, and cumin are just right for a meal of beans and rice. It's nutritious, tasty, and most importantly, easy to throw into the microwave when I'm in a rush to make it to a youth event!



No comments: