Married to the Empire

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

WFMW: Getting Kitty in His Carrier

It's time for Doogie's annual vet visit, which means wrestling him into his cat carrier. This used to be an ordeal. But not anymore.

Doogie freaks when he hears the carrier being taken out of the closet. Freaks, as in, hides under the bed for a very long time. I've developed a system for tricking him into his carrier.

First, I get the carrier out hours before his appointment. This allows him to hide for a while, then forget all about the danger. I have to allow Calvin to go into the carrier because he's my cat who thinks carriers are awesome.



After Calvin has had his fun, I set the empty carrier up on its end like so:



Right before we have to leave for Doogie's appointment, I lure him into the bathroom (where he's completely forgotten the carrier is now residing) under the guise of drinking out of the sink, which is one of his favorite activities. Once he's in the bathroom with the door closed, I grab him and lower him back-feet first into his carrier. Shut the door quickly, set the carrier properly on its bottom, then pick it up to head to the vet's office. Easy peasy! (If you'd like to see just how much of an improvement this solution is to the old way, go here.)

For more Works-for-Me-Wednesday ideas, visit Rocks in My Dryer!

2 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

I had to laugh at the way you used to get the cat in the carrier! Years ago we were moving and decided to buy a really big carrier and put both cats in it.
Ahhahahahahaha. Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! I know what you mean about cats that sprout extra limbs...

ashley said...

That's a great idea! I have a soft-sided carrier that can open in the top, so I like being able to slide the cats in feet first. Of course, I tend to take my cats both to the vet at the same time, and since I only have one carrier, that can be quite a challenge sometimes!