Married to the Empire

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

WFMW: Recipe Organization

I've never been one to use those cute, but tiny little recipe cards that fit in a pretty little box. Many of the recipes I make are long and involved. Many were printed on 8-1/2"x11" paper from the computer. And the ones I cut from the newspaper and magazines often have accompanying pictures that I want to keep with the recipe.

My solution is to use a 3-ring binder with plastic page covers. I slip recipes into the sleeves, which keeps food and grease off of them. I organize recipes within the notebook according to the type of food, such as breakfast foods or soups.

If I try a recipe and don't like it, then I can simply slip the recipe out of its sleeve and toss it in the recycle bin. I keep empty plastic page protectors in the back of the notebook for new recipes.



This has worked so well for me that I upgraded on Monday to a larger notebook since my recipe collection had grown.

For more Works-for-Me Wednesday ideas, visit Shannon's site Rocks in My Dryer.

A commenter asked what the recipe is on the left. It's for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, published in The Dallas Morning News.

9 comments:

TracyMichele said...

What a great idea! And btw: What IS that recipe on the left? YUM! :)

Kathy in WA said...

Oooo, oooo, I do this as well! Thanks for the great post. I recently went through all of those random stacks of paper recipes that pile (ones printed off the computer, clippings from magazines, etc) and sorted them all. I made folders for breakfast (one we use all the time around here), main dishes, desserts, etc.

It's been very handy! Glad someone else shares the vision. Aren't those page protectors great!

Duckabush Blog

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

That's a very clever tip!

Marcia Francois said...

I blogged about the same thing today - great minds think alike :)

Organising Queen and
Marcia's take charge blog

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. I do something similar but I need to add sheet protectors.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I have been struggling for YEARS to organize recipes. I've tried the cute little cards as well as a Rolodex I once used (before PDAs) and even typing them into my PDA. Nothing made me happy :) Just recently, I grabbed a 3-ring binder and started using the plastic sheet protectors to store each recipe! I thought I was brilliant - you must be too! Congratulations! HaHaHaHa. Actually, I keep wondering (as I'm still adding and organizing it) if it's actually going to work and your tip has given me GREAT encouragement. Thanks so much for sharing this and giving me the confidence to pursue my dream of recipe organization!

AnneK said...

Thats a great idea. I currently keep them in my home management binder. But food gets on them easily.

Unknown said...

Hi!

I do this too.

I Also use the system for my sheetmusic. Works perfect.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.