Married to the Empire

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Mind Is a Fascinating Thing

I'm rereading Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door right now. The whole Wrinkle in Time series has always been a favorite of mine. I've read it many times.

What always interests me is how my mind always pictures the settings the exact same way. However I first saw the book is what forever stays in my mind. The Murrys' house is always partially the house I lived in as a child in a suburb of Houston. The elder Murrys' lab is always an extension of that house, and Meg's attic room is up a set of stairs that didn't exist in my home, but there they are beyond the doorway into the hall.

Every book is this way. Once it's been pictured in my mind, that picture never alters. Something might be added if I missed a detail in a previous reading, but in general, it's always the same. It doesn't matter how old I was when I first read something; it always comes back to me. That's just one of those things about the human brain that fascinates me.

Just don't ask me what I ate for lunch the day before or why I walked into a room, because chances are, I won't remember.

No comments: