Married to the Empire

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Few Random Thoughts

My blog entries have been sketchy for a lot of reasons, not least of which is the great computer switchover. Wow, I had no idea this could be such a pain. Photos, programs, documents, iTunes. iTunes and I are having it out right now, and it's winning so far. It's apparently smarter than me, and it's making me come face-to-face with my (bordering on unhealthy) attachment to my iPod.

I have a lot on my mind, but I don't know how much of it I want to share here. I was struck hard a couple of weeks ago with the first real understanding of being aliens and strangers in this world and longing for home (heaven), as I was confronted with the frailty of our bodies and life in general. Nothing that happened to us, just a sick and dying cat, knowing so many people with ailments, knowing our own health issues. It was something that hit me hard, and I've been mulling it over ever since, along with a few other things. It's the sort of deep thinking that leaves me knocked for a loop and unable to truly communicate what's swirling through my head.

I'm also being a True Grown-up this week and hosting Thanksgiving dinner in my home for the first time. It's only Steven, me, and my parents, but still. It's Thanksgiving Dinner and all the obligations that entails. Granted, they're obligations I've placed upon myself, as my parents really wouldn't care one way or the other if I made the big turkey dinner or not, but it matters to me. However, I'm not ashamed to admit that I intend to use boxed stuffing. I'm not in the mood to go totally homemade this week, even if it is what Martha would do.

We have good news regarding Calvin. He visited the vet yet again on Friday, and he was given the all-clear on his bladder infection. This is good news on a couple of fronts. First, it means that his little body doesn't have to work quite so hard, as it's no longer fighting infection. Second, it means he can sleep with us again. He's so skinny now that he has no body fat to keep himself warm anymore. He's always had the habit of sleeping in the crook of Steven's arm (and then later stealing his pillow), and it's been hard on him to be kicked out of the bedroom at night. We want him to be warm at night, as well as happy. His last days (weeks? hopefully months?) should be good ones. To ensure this, we're keeping him on a low-dose antibiotic from here on out to try to keep these nagging infections at bay. With cooler temperatures this past week, Calvin has been taking full advantage of being allowed back in the bedroom with us. I should probably buy him a heating pad.

The house is quiet, other than the sound of Doogie snoring on the floor beside me. It's a sound that makes me happy, and I wonder what he dreams about. Hopefully happy things, as he's my happy cat who seems to be content with life. The rest of the house is also sleeping, and I think it's time that I joined them.

4 comments:

Becky said...

You probably already know this, but they make heated pads made particularly for pets (at least in the far north they do!).

*carrie* said...

Anne Marie,

Thanks for checking in. I am hosting my parents for Thanksgiving this year, too! And I agree--Stovetop was on sale for 77 cents and I snatched up several boxes.

Amy W said...

Our neighbor's cat didn't make it. I'm so glad Calvin is hanging in there!! I know it's not easy. :(

Anonymous said...

There is no shame in Stove Top :). That's what my mother is doing for Thanksgiving and what I will be using at Christmas. It may not be fancy but almost everyone likes it. I can really relate to what you are going through with your kitty. I am going throught pretty much the same thing with my cat execpt it's not a partular illness just old age (20). It's hard to watch them go though this and not be able to do more.