Married to the Empire

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Homemade Multi-Grain Bread


Last week at Sprouts, I bought an incredible loaf of multi-grain bread. It was absolutely delicious, but at nearly $5 a loaf, I don't see it being a regular addition to our regular grocery list. I leafed through my many bread cookbooks, but I didn't find anything similar.

I remembered that I had some Bob's Red Mill 10-Grain Hot Cereal in my pantry. I use it for muffins, but I started wondering if there was a bread recipe on their site that uses this. I looked, and there are several recipes. This is the one decided to try. Conveniently, I had all the ingredients in the house.

I made a few minor changes. I used 4 teaspoons of sugar instead of just 2. And I didn't do the first kneading step. Instead, I just mixed all the ingredients together, then plopped them into a greased bowl. Doing so didn't affect the recipe at all. Also, I decided to make these into regular loaves, so I put them into my loaf pans, rather than making long loaves and rolling them in salt and pepper. This required them to bake longer. I wound up putting them in for about 35 minutes.

The verdict: Delicious! Not quite the same as the $5 bread from Sprouts, but very, very good. Even better, this is the easiest yeast bread I have ever made, and it's the healthiest, too!

No comments: