Married to the Empire

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pray



Prayer seems to be my spiritual theme for the year, so I decided to make a banner for the mantel. This has actually been on my to-do list for several months, as I always miss the dressed-up look of the mantel once I remove the Christmas garland in January. Just as well that I waited, as I'm not sure that I knew back in January just how prevalent prayer was going to become in 2010. (And I realize that totally sounds bad--it's not like I didn't pray before; I just didn't focus on it the way I am now. My latest book on the subject is Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible.)

I used only supplies I already had, and the letters are done by hand.



The ribbon, in my opinion, is important. I don't like banners done with skimpy or cheap ribbon. Yes, I'm a ribbon snob. I found this fabulous big roll of ribbon for a song in the clearance aisle of Hobby Lobby several months ago. My cheap little secret for securing it all on the hooks on the mantel: twist ties. I made loops for hanging by simply cinching the ribbon with twist ties. Then I ran those same twist ties through the backs of the bows. Easy peasy.

2 comments:

Thirsty said...

Love it!

I guess I'm gonna have to borrow/buy that book. Bonhoeffer is a slow read for me -- similar to walking through peanut butter.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

You're welcome to borrow it when I'm done. Don't buy it; it's $9 for tiny little book.

It is a bit dry. What helps is that the chapters are only about 3 pages each. I'm reading through 1 chapter each night with my bible open, so it's proving useful and interesting. Last night's chapter was about the historical psalms, which I didn't realize were even in there. I'm definitely learning from it, but it's not as comprehensive as I'd hoped.