Married to the Empire

Monday, October 19, 2009

GLOW: 5th Quarter

Our big Fall event with our youth group was a 5th quarter party last Friday. For the uninitiated, a 5th quarter is a big party held after a football game. We chose to hold this after the game for our two big rival high schools, and our students were great about inviting their friends to attend with them.

The theme was GLOW. The whole thing was my hubby's idea. I seriously don't know where he comes up with this stuff! His plan was to hang glow sticks all over the church, give the kids glow necklaces to wear, and do a bunch of stuff with black lights. Crazy, huh? Also, very cool.

Some of the preparation:




The worship center transformed:




We had karaoke going in the worship center, as well as an arena set up for playing with glow swords. Glow swords are foam lightsabers wrapped in black-light tape. The arena had black lights attached to the black barriers, which were also covered in black-light tape.





We also played Black Light Bingo, in which the kids could win some great prizes: gift cards to Starbucks, AMC theaters, and iTunes.

The hallway was set up with green glow sticks, strobe lights, and videogame music. This was where they played 4-on-4 Firefly. I have no idea how that was played, as I was busy running karaoke, but I do know it involved Nerf guns and glow-in-the-dark darts. I heard this game was a lot of fun. In fact, the first group to play didn't want to stop and give others a turn!





(That last pic was with the flash. Totally kills the glowing effect, but gives you a clear photo of what's going on.)

We also had the foyer set up with red glow sticks. We hung those above the food tables, where we had pizzas, grapes, cookies, snack mix, and soft drinks set up. You'll just have to trust me when I say that it looked really neat.

This event was a lot of work, but so much fun! Definite success!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Oh wow, that looks soooo cool! You guys all did such a wonderful job. The glow affect looks fantastic, I wish I could have been there to see it in person. I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice.

Great work, I hope everyone had a really fantastic time! :)