Married to the Empire

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The illness that keeps giving and giving...

Last week after a violent fit of coughing, my ribs started hurting pretty badly. My friend Marylou is a nurse, and she assured me that I probably just bruised them. Then last night while coughing and holding my side (that seems to help with the pain), something moved. That something left me gasping for breath from the pain. I popped it again from the back (ick, I know), and the pain lessened a tad, but I hurt.

Marylou told me today that I should really see a doctor based on the new symptoms.

The doctor left me gasping again as she felt all around my ribs. It was a mixture of pain, her cold hands, and the fact that I'm probably the most ticklish person on the planet. Because the pain seemed to be pretty localized, she said she thinks I'm having severe muscle spasms, which can happen with violent coughing. I now have prescriptions for heavy-duty painkillers (because even with my obscene number of prescription migraine pain meds, a girl can always have more) and a muscle relaxer.

This should make teaching tomorrow interesting, don't you think?

You know, I'm pretty much over the illness that kicked my butt, but apparently, it's still trying to stay in my life and give my doctor and pharmacist more business. I think maybe they're all in cahoots.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Aw, so sorry to hear that, Anne Marie! I thought you were going to say you broke a rib from coughing. I'm so glad you didn't do that!! I hope that those medications don't make you all foggy so you can't teach.

AnneK said...

Sorry to hear about all this. I can imagine how your body must be aching with the coughing! Hope you feel better soon.

Cathy VanPatten said...

Oh man--that just stinks!

I hope this works its way out of your system soon. I cracked a rib in my back once from coughing (a "mild" case of whooping cough--apparently, even if you have been inoculated you can get it if exposed... you just won't die from it. But you might wish you had!).

Take good care of yourself. That muscle relaxer stuff can throw you for a real loop!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

The drugs are doing wonders, but cleaning my house kind of screwed stuff up again. *sigh*

Teaching while all hopped up on pain pills and muscle relaxers was a bit of a challenge. I was sooo sleepy AND a bit loopy. I had to take a nap when I got home. But at least I didn't really notice my ribs while at school.