Married to the Empire

Monday, March 10, 2008

Sandwich alternatives

When I'm working at a school, I prefer to pack a lunch that I don't have to reheat. This is partly because I don't want to compete for a microwave, and partly because I'm antisocial at lunch and like to stay in my classroom and read.

I'm not a big sandwich eater. They're okay, but if I can eat something else, I will.

Tonight with our dinner, we had BLT Cucumbers. They're fabulous, in my opinion. I figured they'd be good with my lunch tomorrow, but they're a bit messy to eat. I opted to cut them up and toss 'em all in a container like a salad.



For protein I made some spicy chickpeas. They are super simple to make, and they taste great, although I think they could use a bit more spice. They can be eaten like finger food and make a great snack.



Some crackers and a couple of cookies will round out the meal.

Spicy Chickpeas

Mix together:
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 Tbls. sesame oil (you can substitute olive oil)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp coriander

Place on a greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Ann said...

That salad looks pretty good! I know what you mean a bout being anti-social at lunch time. In my teaching days at the end there I started eating in my classroom. The lounge where the teachers ate and hung out got to turning into a big gripe session. Griping about the kids, the parents, other teachers. It was a real downer.