Married to the Empire

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cleaning Out

Last week's stress of vet visits and youth activities left me somewhat restless. You know, the sort where you don't necessarily feel like adhering to regular routine, but you have to do something or risk driving yourself mad.

Or is that just me?

My project of choice was to clean out my clothes closet. It was a mess, especially as there was a massive pile of shoes that just seemed to grow bigger and bigger. (In my defense, a huge portion of that pile consisted of Steven's shoes, but admittedly, some were mine.) Add in a bunch of clothes that didn't fit, were out of style, or I just couldn't remember the last time I'd worn them, and I had a lot to do.

I wound up with 6 bags of stuff to get rid of.



Two bags were just shoes. I have a very hard time getting rid of shoes, but it was quite ridiculous to still be hanging onto pairs such as my Doc Martens from the 1990s. I mean, come on. They were cute and trendy and great for a 20-something, but now they just look old, outdated, and dumb on someone in her mid-30s. Out they went! (Along with probably 20 other pairs of shoes. Have I ever mentioned that I have a lot of shoes?)

Then there were the hangers.



I'm pretty sure they've been procreating. The above picture reflects only about 1/4 of the mess of empty hangers I found in there.

After about 2 hours of work, in which I multitasked by also learning a song for church, my closet was respectable again. The shoe mountain is gone. Steven's (and my) shoes now have specific places to go in the closet. The excess is removed, and I felt a billion times better.

Funny how a little work on a long-put-off project can help clear the mind and actually make life seem a little brighter. If nothing else, it's easier to find things in the closet.

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

I agree. I think that often external order can bring us a sense of calm.

I've been thinking I should go through my closet soon. My mom sent me an article from the NY Times about a movement to only wear 6 pieces of clothes for a month. Pretty interesting!