Married to the Empire

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Country Club Event

I knew this was going to be a different sort of charity event when we pulled into a country club and had to give our names to the security guards at the gate, who then checked The List. Apparently, we (or at least Steven) were on The List, so we were allowed to enter. But I suspect we were sent to park in the staff lot, as all the luxury vehicles appeared to be sent a different direction.

I really knew this would be different when we walked inside to see this:



Ballrooms with chandeliers do not typically have bounce houses inside them!

The stormtroopers were there to help THANKS raise money for abused and neglected kids.



As far as I could tell, the children had filled jars with change to give away. The stormtroopers were pretty much just there to add to the entertainment value of the event. (I suspect far more money was spent on the entertainment than was raised for charity, but this was still a good way to introduce children to the joys of giving to others.)

I was amused to take a photo of the stormtroopers by a golf cart with a golf course in the background. Not their usual venue!



A few more photos from the day:





At least the guys were well fed. Steven, Todd, and Fred unmasked to cool down and eat up:



As for me, I felt woefully underdressed in jeans and my pink 501st t-shirt. I thought Steven had said we were going to a children's hospital!

No comments: