Married to the Empire

Friday, October 3, 2008

Migraines, Chiropractors, and Thrift Stores

I started the day with a visit to the chiropractor. I've been seeing him for a couple of months for some back/hip pain I've been experiencing. That problem is mostly taken care of now, but lately, my migraines have been bad. Scary bad. (Early Wednesday morning I experienced the worst one I can remember ever having.) I mentioned this to my chiropractor, so he did some extra adjusting on me, including my jaw. Yes, my jaw. I didn't know you could adjust a person's jaw, but he managed it. I am aware that TMJ or other similar issues can cause migraines, so I let him do his thing. Guess I'll see if it works or not. (Admittedly, I'm highly skeptical.)

He also gave me a sample of this:



Again, I'm skeptical, as the homeopathic stuff seems pretty useless for real migraine, but it can't hurt to try.

When I was finished at the chiropractor's, I decided to try a little thrifting. I went first to CCA and was shocked to find a Romertopf clay baker for only $6! I'd read about them on Meredith's blog, so I snatched this one up before someone else could realize what a find it was. Even better, the dinner plan for tonight was already baked chicken. It'll now be cooked in my new pot!

Additionally, I found a nice teapot for only $3. It's nothing special, but I've wanted another teapot. We frequently make pots of tea in the evenings when it's cold out. Not that we're looking to have cold weather anytime soon here.



Next I headed to Goodwill. I found a Snoopy glass that I really like. I realize that I'm all grown up and all, but I still love Snoopy. I mean, I do still dress my Snoopys up for the holidays and whatnot! I also found a mug with cats and part of a nursery rhyme:
Pussycat, Pussycat, where have you been?
I've been up to London to look at the Queen.

It reminds me of 2 of my favorite things--cats and my nieces (they live in London).



Then, I hit gold. Eight amber-colored glasses that say, "Handblown Lenox Crystal" on the bottoms. Personally, I hate amber glass, but one of my friends loves the stuff. I bought all 8 glasses for a mere 59 cents each. I'm putting them away for her birthday next year, assuming I can wait that long! (Pardon the sideways picture. It's right-side up on my computer, but Blogger keeps turning it sideways, no matter what I do!)

5 comments:

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Wow, what great finds! I love my clay baker. I'd never heard of them until I started reading Meredith's blog, and I found mine at a yard sale too! Let us know how your meal turned out.

I'll have to look for that Migraine spray. I rarely get them, but my husband gets them enough that it can be a problem. He finally got a prescription for Imitrix. He really hates taking medication of any sort unless it's unavoidable, so he would be excited about a homeopathic spray if it works. We've never had much luck for homeopathic or natural cures for migraines either. Let us know if it works!

JunkMale said...

FYI, the picture viewing program I use on my computer (not the Windows standard program) seems to automatically rotate the pictures when viewing them. That might be what's happening to you.

I would guess that you could fix the problem if you rotated the picture to the right orientation, saved it, then uploaded it.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

JM, I've done all that. This happened to me once before with Blogger. It just seems to be one of those weird, random things every once in a while.

Catherine, the MigraSpray has feverfew as the main ingredient. I took Feverfew daily a couple of years ago to try to prevent migraine, but it never did work. That's the #1 reason I'm skeptical. That, and the fact that my headaches never respond to anything other than prescription meds...

I can understand your husband's reluctance to take Imitrex, but that stuff is so amazing since it actually works!

Anonymous said...

Hope you get a handle on the migraine issue soon. I love good thrift finds too! :-)

*carrie* said...

Anne Marie,

Thanks for sharing your great bargains!

I've been having back pain during this pregnancy (last time, too!) and have decided to see a chiropractor for the first time. I'm kind of nervous about it, but hope it will help!