Married to the Empire

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Encouragement



Steven has been a bit overwhelmed the past few months. He's PR officer for his garrison of the 501st Legion, he's an elder of our church, and his job became more demanding after so many workers were laid off. So much on his plate has left him feeling a tad discouraged, especially with the stormtrooper thing.

The guys are in the Neiman-Marcus Adolphus Children's Parade this weekend. Steven struggled just to get enough guys to sign up to be in it. For a while, it looked like they were going to have to drop out because not enough people were saying they'd participate. He found it all rather discouraging.

But I received the sweetest phone call this afternoon that makes things seem brighter. The woman in charge of the parade lineup called to get our mailing address. She's wanting to send Steven a thank-you note for all his hard work, and especially to thank him for going to the children's party at the hospital tomorrow. She said it really touches her heart when people who are in the nationally-broadcast parade are willing to do stuff for the children when there aren't video cameras broadcasting it all, especially as it means so much to the children. Everyone loves seeing stormtroopers and Darth Vader.

I thanked her for her call and told her that her encouragement means a lot. I think just knowing that his efforts are appreciated, and especially giving some small joy to sick children makes it all worthwhile. I'm very proud of my stormtrooper!

3 comments:

AnneK said...

I know, it means the world to receive kind words and appreciation, doesn't it? Reminds me to BE an encouragement to people instead of always waiting to be encouraged.

Anonymous said...

That is great, and it sounds like the encouragement is coming just at the right time.

I think it sounds like you both do a lot of great stuff for your church and community. I'm not at a point in my life (with so much medical craziness) to be committed to so many things, but you often remind and inspire me to do what I can. :)

Jennifer

Kristin - The Goat said...

I like to send Thank You notes because every volunteer I've ever met is not thanked enough.

I'm proud of your husband, too!