Married to the Empire

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Triple Duty Dinner



I don't know about anyone else, but this Christmas season has proved to be pretty stressful for me. With this being the first year that we did a big Christmas program with the youth, I had a lot on my plate. And now I'm way behind on my own Christmas stuff.

I had a bit of a dilemma tonight. I had praise team rehearsal at church at 6pm (when I'm usually at home preparing dinner), but I also needed to bring a meal to a couple from church who are recovering from a very bad car accident, and I needed to make something for Steven to bring to the office potluck tomorrow. Yikes!

I realized that the family at church is from Louisiana, which is also where I spent many of my childhood years. I figured they probably like red beans and rice, but I did check with their daughter first to make sure of this. (They do.) So, I decided to make that tonight. My recipe came from my sister, who said it came from Southern Living. It fills my 4-quart crockpot.

New Orleans Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. dried red beans
7 cups water
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 lb. andouille sausage, sliced
3 Tbls. Creole seasoning
Hot cooked rice
Garnish: sliced green onions

Place first 8 ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, on HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with hot cooked rice. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 3 quarts

In my smaller crockpot, I cooked 2 cups of brown rice with 4 cups of water. It makes enough rice to go with all those beans.

I packaged up a lot of it for our friends, we ate some for our dinner, and the rest went in that blue bowl pictured up top for Steven to take to work. Best of all, it was minimal effort to make!

No comments: