Married to the Empire

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dusting Off My Taps

My friend Michelle found out about an adult tap class that takes place on Monday nights. We both signed up. Tonight was our first night to attend.

Wow. I'm not as agile as I used to be. Once upon a time (meaning 16 years ago), I had no problem dancing in 2-inch heeled tap shoes and moving with some grace. Sixteen years and a few extra pounds apparently make a difference. And not in a good way.



I'll be buying new tap shoes this week. Mine are not in great shape after nearly 2 decades, my feet have spread a bit (thank you, Birkenstocks), and I just feel like I could totally topple over in them! Graceful I was not tonight. But even though I felt like a total clod, I'm glad that I'm trying. The exercise certainly can't hurt (although I might hurt a bit tomorrow).

Now I just need to practice a bit before next week's class!

2 comments:

Cathy VanPatten said...

I LOVE tapping!! I used to take class at the Mason-Kahn School in San Francisco... just like in A Chorus Line: Up a very steep and narrow stairway... over a sometimes very skeevy cinema...

My specialty turned out to be triple time steps. I find them SO much easier and more fun than singles or doubles. And I can do a mean buffalo and a very respectable waltz clog.

Now I think I may have to dust of my old tap shoes... except my crummy feet (long story from punk band days... I wouldn't recommend trying to play a set in 4-inch electric blue stiletto ankle boots) assured that I would have to wear the flats. I like the tie-ons better than the jazz flats--I could match the ribbons to my outfit. Heh!

Anonymous said...

I remember trying dance when I was a small child, around 5 or 6 I'd say. I remember doing "shuffle, step-step, shuffle, step." I didn't stay in it long, don't know why...

I think it's great that you are getting back into it again!