Married to the Empire

Saturday, August 4, 2007

A New Jeweler

I have two favorite pieces of jewelry: my engagement/wedding bands (they're soldered together to make one ring) and my Omega watch. The watch was my 21st birthday gift from my parents. I wear it every day and feel completely naked without it. Because it's an Omega, I won't let just any old jeweler work on it. I had my favorite jeweler about 30 minutes away for years, but then he sold his shop, and I don't like the new owners. So, I was dreading the day my Omega would need a new battery because I didn't know where to take it.

That dreaded day came today. I called a fine jewelry shop we pass on our way to church, and they said that they work on Omegas. Woo-hoo! I brought my watch in and spent time looking at all the pretties while the jeweler installed a new battery. As I was paying, one of the salesmen complimented my earrings. Then the girl handling the sale took a good look and also exclaimed how pretty they were. I thanked them and gloated a little on the inside. You see, I was standing in a fine jewelry store being complimented by the sales staff on earrings I bought at The Silver Jewelry Club for only $5.99.

This is a terrible picture (and I took 29 pics trying to get a good one!). The earrings are sterling silver and tiger's eye. They're quite different from my typical simple style, but they're fun and interesting.



This online store sells some really lovely pieces, and all of them are $5.99. I just found it a bit ironic that such inexpensive jewelry was receiving such high praise from those who work around fine jewelry every day.

No comments: