Married to the Empire

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Preparing for Christmas

Usually I shop for Christmas all year, but this year I've been seriously slacking. This is bad for several reasons. We have 3 October birthdays, 2 December birthdays (mine included), and we just shelled out about $4000 for all the home repairs/falling trees, etc. Money is now officially tight.

A few years ago, one of Ruf's sisters was having trouble coming up with a gift for their stepdad. Their mom suggested some practical items, including... bananas. So, FIL received bananas from that sister. No kidding. Ruf and I laughed hysterically over that.

Last weekend I attended a local library book sale. I came away with 8 books and 2 magazines for the whopping price of $2.75. One of the books is for Ruf, and I decided to put it away for Christmas. It was only 25 cents. He didn't look too impressed when I told him I bought one of his presents for that price.

We've been instant messaging this afternoon and talking about Christmas. He sent me links to several zombie things he wants. (Ruf is very into zombies. It was so bad at one point that when we walked into Blockbuster a couple of years ago, I told him he couldn't get anything with ...of the Dead in the title. I was tired of zombies.) I told him to think very carefully about what he wants because funds are limited, and I've already purchased a few things for him. He only knows about the 25 cent item, so he responded with, "Just gum will be fine," followed by a sad face. Then he said, "And some bananas."

I told him he could only have one banana, as we're on a budget. He's decided I'm very mean.

2 comments:

Ann said...

That's so funny! Gum and a banana :)

AnneK said...

I laughed out loud at this. It was too funny. Make it two bananas. That way full stomach and clean breath.