Married to the Empire

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Welcome to... the Dork Side?

Ruf and I spent last Saturday at a sci-fi convention. While wandering around the exhibit hall, I was stopped by the people in a fairly empty-looking booth. They started telling me about their comedy show they'd be performing this week, I can get in free if I wear my costume (what costume???), and here, would I like to join the Army of Dorkness?

They gave me their spiel, then I looked at them and said, "Wow. I don't know if I should be offended or not!" I mean, here they were talking about nerdity and armies of dorkness and offering me membership in their geeky whatever. I am not a nerd. (Although Ruf reminded me later that I was at a sci-fi convention!) The guy doing all the talking had the grace to blush a bit and get all flustered, while the others in the booth started cracking up. He stammered, "But you're in the 501st!" pointing at my t-shirt.

Oh. That.

I explained that my husband is in the 501st Legion; I am not. I just wear the t-shirt so it's obvious that I'm with the stormtroopers. (That means people let me into places where I'm not supposed to be.) Ruf appeared at that very moment, so they started offering him their Army of Dorkness and whatnot. They gave him a card and invited him to come to their comedy thing.

Ruf decided to go last night. He wore his armor, worked the crowd before and after the show, and had a great time. He said they were hilarious. And they gave him some free tickets so his non-nerdy wife can go with him next time. You can check out their website, in fact.

In addition to the free tickets, Ruf was given this hilarious t-shirt:



He'll wear it with pride.

4 comments:

Cathy VanPatten said...

Army of Dorkness!! I love it!

And I know from experience that it can be immensely freeing to embrace and empower the nerd that dwells within! LOL!

Ann said...

Hahahaha!! That would be so cool to run around in a 501st shirt though. I've never heard of these guys, but did you see the Star Wars in 30 Minutes crew or One-Man Star Wars Trilogy? Those were hilarious. Really good.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

We saw the One-Man Star Wars trilogy. That guy was amazing! I don't think we saw the 30 minute one, though. Was that the musical? For some reason I'm thinking there was a 30-minute musical. I just can't remember. Sometimes it's hard to keep all the SW things straight in my head!

SAHMmy Says said...

Hilarious shirt! I need to get me one of those--my sweetheart has managed to completely immerse our 3 year old in all things Star Wars--my son can even beat my husband at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit!