Married to the Empire

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Repurposing furniture

Last week we were given a really big TV by my parents. This meant that a bookshelf and our former TV cabinet were displaced. It seemed like there was nowhere else for this TV cabinet, but I didn't want to get rid of it because 1) I think it's beautiful, and 2) it's Ethan Allen. You don't just get rid of Ethan Allen; it's the good stuff!

While working in the kitchen last night, I had an idea. When Ruf and I were first married, we were young and not particularly well off. We were also living in an apartment with inadequate kitchen storage. We had no place to put our beautiful wedding china and crystal. We found a pseudo-china cabinet for $150 (this was back before I knew about checking thrift shops or antiques stores for the good stuff). It's not particularly nice, but the price was right and it served our purpose.



A few weeks ago, I decided to get rid of our white, everyday dishes because the set was incomplete and a few plates were damaged. I had 4 sets of dishes, so it's not like it was hurting us. I decided to use my parents' old wedding china as everyday stuff, meaning I now put it in the dishwasher (with no ill effects, I might add!). That cleared up some cabinet space in the kitchen, so I moved much of my crystal to the cabinet that had been cleared out. I also purged a few things I haven't used in years (if ever).

Then, Ruf and I moved the cheap, old cabinet out and moved the former TV cabinet in.



It beautifully fits my pastry board, platters, crystal, etc.



An added bonus is that my sister gave me a Southern Living plate several years ago. You can use a dry-erase marker on it to write messages. I've never used this plate because I just didn't have a place for it. Now I have a big blank wall opened up, so I found some ribbon to lace through it, made do with an overhead marker left over from my teaching days, and hung it on the wall. Please excuse the crooked writing; I'll need to re-do that.



The wall needs more (really it needs to be painted, but that's for another time), and I remembered that I have 5 or 6 silver crosses I'd bought years ago in Canton. I'd never found a place for them, but I think I've got one now! Redecorating without buying a thing is great! You just have to be a little creative when repurposing items.

No comments: