Married to the Empire

Friday, July 24, 2009

Hidden Treasures

While reorganizing the linen closet the other day, I found this tucked away at the back:



These wooden tulips used to be in my parents' house, but my mom got tired of them several years ago and gave them to me. I'd taken them with the intention of using them, but instead, they were shoved in a closet and forgotten about.

When I found them the other day, I realized I had the perfect spot for them. I have a beautiful crystal vase that sits out on our sideboard. Ironically, the pattern on it is tulips. I can't have real flowers in there because Doogie knocks them over every time. Wooden flowers don't require water, which is what attracts the cat.

I put the flowers in the vase and realized they're too short. Dang.



I was feeling frustrated until I remembered these:



I'd bought these flat marbles for a craft project that I never got around to doing. (Surprise, surprise!) I figured they'd work in the bottom of the vase to elevate the wood flowers. I was right:



I love being able to use what I already have to brighten my home. These flowers were truly hidden treasures.

No comments: