Married to the Empire

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Homemade Tortillas

I tried a new recipe last night from the $2 vegetarian cookbook I bought at Goodwill last week. It was a very healthy wrap that consisted of a spread made with avocado and goat cheese, and a filling with cucumber, red onion, alfalfa sprouts, and a red chili. It included the recipe for making the tortillas to wrap it all up in, so I decided to try it. You see, I've had a tortilla press for years, and I've never used it.

Talk about easy! The dough is nothing more than flour, water, olive oil, and salt (recipe at end). Pop a ball of dough onto the tortilla press:



Close it and press down on the handle:



Open it, and voila! You have a tortilla:



Pop it onto a hot skillet:



Heat about 30 seconds, then turn it over to heat the other side:



There you have it. Fresh, homemade tortillas:



Small confession: I thought the tortillas were too small and thick straight from the tortilla press, so after I made about 3 of them, I pulled out my rolling pin and rolled the rest of them to be a bit flatter and larger.

Tortillas

Mix together:

2 cups flour
1/2-3/4 cup warm water
3 Tbls. olive oil
A pinch of salt (although after tasting the finished product, it needs more than a pinch IMO)

Knead the dough, then cut it into 8 pieces. Roll out into tortillas. Cook individually on a cast iron or non-stick skillet, about 30 seconds on each side.

3 comments:

lizzykristine @ Uplifted Eyes said...

This isn't really about tortillas, but after your recent posts on homemade scents and going into the liquor store, I had to drop by with my own experience. ;)

I've been meaning to buy some vodka for months, to make some herbal tinctures. The herbs just keep sitting in my cupboard because, well, you know. Going into a liquor store when you've never done that before is intimidating. So today I got my husband to go along and do all the talking.

First we made the mistake of going to some kind of high-end place, like where half of the stuff didn't even have price tags. Very disturbing -- is a bottle of vodka $5 or $50, anyway? In the end we had to come home and do some more research to find one that was above-board on the gluten issue, but not before we'd totally embarrassed ourselves by asking dumb questions of the clerk.

We went to a different store after our research, and this second store had the kindness to have all the vodka on one aisle and with price tags. Whew.... :)

Do share more about your scents; I have all the supplies now!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Ohhh...I want a tortilla press! I did not even know they existed! We make our own, but we roll them out with a rolling pin and they are never really round. I'll have to add that to my yard sale wish list!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Catherine, I'm not even sure where my tortilla press came from. I think my mom gave it to me years ago when she was cleaning out her cabinets. Can't believe I'd waited so long to try it!

LK, I understand about being confused in the liquor store! The one I went to had prices listed, thankfully. I paid about $18 for my bottle. No idea if that was a good deal or not, but it didn't seem too much compared to the other bottles around it.

The toilet water is ready; I just haven't had time to deal with it. The eau de cologne still has 4 weeks to go. I've opened the toilet water bottles, and they smell strongly of their essential oils. No smell of alcohol. I even bought a couple of small, inexpensive spray bottles, but I don't have a small funnel. Need to find one before I can move farther in this project/experiment.