Married to the Empire

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Taking Advantage of Food Sales

I've been a little insane at the grocery store lately due to the fabulous stock-up sales that have been going on. (Kitties will be very happy, as I bought something like 20 cans of tuna at only 50 cents a can!)

I've become addicted to smoothies lately, and I love them with frozen fruit. But a small bag of frozen cherries at Sprouts is $5/bag! Ouch! Seeing as so much fruit is in season right now and being sold at very low prices, I've been stocking up on fruit and freezing it myself.

I pitted cherries, which is a very messy process! But at 99 cents/pound, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.





I spread prepared fruit out on waxed paper on a jelly-roll pan, then froze it.



Once the fruit was frozen, I moved it to a ziploc bag in the freezer. (Yes, I'm aware that I switched fruit on you. The strawberries were frozen already; the cherries were not.)



From there I can take out as much as I need at any given time for smoothies or other kitchen endeavors. Yes, it's a bit time-consuming, but it really does save a lot of money when I can buy fresh fruit at rock-bottom prices versus more-expensive frozen fruit.

6 comments:

*carrie* said...

Anne Marie,

I need to do this more often--we love smoothise at our house, too!

Becky said...

I just did this with strawberries for the first time and I've been really happy with the results! I had no idea freezing fruit was so easy!

Allison said...

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? What little fresh produce they have is pricey, but their frozen fruits are alway low-priced and high-quality.

My favorite healthy smoothie is blueberries, Greek yogurt, and greens powder; less healthy is mixing very sweet pineapple with soy milk and a little coconut sorbet.

I'm so envious of your cherries! They're still an obscene $5/lb here :(

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

No Trader Joes here. But we do have Sprouts, which has fabulously low produce prices, yet high-quality food.

The 99 cents/lb. cherries were such a deal that I had to jump on it! I think I came home with 5 pounds of cherries!

lizzykristine @ Uplifted Eyes said...

99 cent cherries!! Amazing. I was so proud when I found them for $1.99/lb. ;)

But I do the same thing. We have ~30 pounds of bananas and ~30 pounds of strawberries in the freezer right now. Okay, so our smoothies lack variety. But they're super frugal. :)

In fact, our freezers are jam-packed with fruit, gluten-free grains, and the last few turkeys from last year's thanksgiving sales. I have to take something out of the freezer to put anything else in. Time to knuckle down and eat!

Amy W said...

YUM! I can't believe you got cherries that cheap!! They're never that low around here. I've been loving the local peaches though!!