Married to the Empire

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

All-Con: Day Three

Sunday was the last day of All-Con. By the time I arrived at the hotel, many people were already gone. There wasn't much for me to do, so I read a book for a couple of hours while Steven was in a robotics forum.

I did manage to get a picture with Scott "Niktom" Horne of Yak's Pub, which is a really funny Star Wars-themed web strip:



Funny story: On Friday as Steven and I were walking down a hotel hallway, this guy stopped to talk to us. He obviously knew Steven, but then he turned to me and thanked me for linking to his website on my blog. He said he gets a lot of hits from my site. (Thank you, readers!) I told him that's great, then asked, "Who are you?" He laughed and introduced himself. It was Scott. I guess he forgot we'd never actually met before.

Because Steven volunteered some of his time to All-Con, he got to attend a volunteer-appreciation thing at the end of the convention. They raffled off a bunch of stuff for the volunteers, and he won an autographed picture of Aaron Douglas.

We had a lot of packing up and loading to do. After everything was cleared out, we went to J. Pepe's in Dallas for dinner with some friends and Aaron Douglas. One of the guys with Aaron knows the owner of the restaurant, and we all ate for free. That was a very nice surprise! My friends Lindy and Kameron were telling Aaron about my blog, and he wanted to know if I was going to blog about our dinner. Consider this paragraph it! (I forgot to take any pictures.)

My first All-Con was certainly an interesting experience. I can't say that I did much other than help my husband with his events and hang out with the stormtroopers. Watching the people there is an event of its own. No offense, but there are some real weirdos out there. The costumes are always fun to see, although some people let us see a little too much of themselves. (If you're quite large, we don't want to see you in something skin tight and tiny! I'm just saying.) To each his own, I guess.

Will I go back next year? Yes, but only because I enjoyed the time with my husband and our friends in the 501st Legion. All-Con itself still holds little interest for me. I'm just not geeky enough.

Now, if there was a Martha Stewart convention, that would be a whole different story...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice weekend. Thanks for sharing it with us. My boys and I still enjoy reminiscing about the fun we had at CIII...

And we love Yak's Pub, totally thanks to you! :)

Unknown said...

Funny how you get to know people online but don't really know them. :)

Amy W said...

I want a link! I want a link! :) Please?