Married to the Empire

Friday, July 13, 2007

Harry Potter 5 Movie Review

Um, I didn't like it. I didn't hate it or anything, but I just didn't like it. Things were done out of order, they sped through the events of the book, they left out important information, things were not clearly explained... Shall I go on? Ruf has never read the books, so he was left confused by some of the things in the film. I realize that it must be beyond difficult to cram 900+ pages into one little film, but I just believe it could have been done better. Make it a 3-hour film, for one thing! They did that with The Lord of the Rings, and no one really complained. (Well, I did, but that's because Ruf and I always have an argument over where to sit in the theater. He wants to be dead center, and I want to sit where I can get up easily to go to the bathroom because my bladder can't make it through an entire 3-hour film.)

The most disappointing scene: Fred's and George's grand exit from Hogwarts. It's the best scene in the book, and I think the film makers just didn't properly capture it. For one thing, the movie had Fred and George interrupting exams to make their exit. They wouldn't do that sort of thing!

Oh, and this film was one giant migraine trigger. I have some issues with my vision (long story), but fast-sweeping camera shots and anything not shot on a tripod gives me a horrible migraine. There were a lot of those types of shots, so I left the theater nauseated and in pain.

I'm still glad that I went, though. But this experience just proved that the books are always better than the movies.

2 comments:

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

I agree! I was crushed that they did not give Fred and George the glory they deserved. I know they can't put everything in, but I was disappointed as well.

On the other hand, I think Luna and Professor Umbridge were cast perfectly!

Thirsty said...

Agree!