Married to the Empire

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Re-joining the cable ranks

When I quit working 8 years ago, we gave up cable as one of our ways to cut back financially. We've only been paying for what I call super-basic cable all this time. By that I mean that we've been paying approximately $11/month to be able to clearly view all major networks and local channels, a slew of Spanish channels, home shopping channels, big-haired religious networks, and the bone they threw us called The Discovery Channel. However, for this most basic of service, the cost recently rose a whopping $4 to $15/month.

For the most part, we haven't really missed having all those other channels. It keeps up from being attached to too many shows, and we don't tend to waste time blankly staring at the screen because more often than not, there's nothing worth watching. It's good for us.

But Verizon finally made us an offer we can't refuse, and we're re-joining the ranks of those who have a billion different channels.

We already have Verizon Fios internet and phone service. Together, we pay a little over $80/month for that. We've now been offered a pretty sweet deal in which they throw in Fios cable TV, as well, for only $99.99/month. That's only $5 more than we're now paying for our internet, phone, and cable. So, for only the additional cost of one Blockbuster rental, we'll have about 200 more channels from which to choose.

Truthfully, I'm a little nervous. I'm used to the fact that there's nothing on during the day at my house. But I know that won't be the case when we switch over, and I fear losing time to watching all the shows I've been missing out on all these years. I know from watching cable when I catsit for friends that one channel pretty much shows Star Trek all day! (I can hear the Sirens singing to me already.) And then there are all the shows on cleaning, organization, scrapbooking, etc. that will likely suck me in. This could be very bad.

But Ruf is positively drooling over the idea of having the Sci-fi channel again. (I'm drooling right alongside him on that one!) We'll see how this works out. Next Wednesday is installation day.

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Ewokgirl,

Thanks for the mop tip. I'm going to look that one up--that would be a bargain compared to the route we took.