Married to the Empire

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Fashion forward?

I had to go to the mall today for a glass pitcher and a birthday gift. While there I passed by Old Navy. Looking in, I saw racks of dresses being peddled as the next big thing for spring.

The thing that came to mind upon seeing these dresses was not cute or fashionable. No, I thought, "That looks like what the Eloi wore in the 1960s version of The Time Machine!"

You be the judge.




The funky fabric aside, I think there is a striking resemblance.

Fashionable? Perhaps. I really wouldn't know as I don't read fashion magazines. Attractive? Definitely not.

5 comments:

Cathy VanPatten said...

I think you are on to something here. It does look rather Eloi-esque. And check out that picture from the movie. Even the lovely Weena can't make that rag look good.

*carrie* said...

Ewokgirl,

That is such a funny observation!

I read yesterday that yellow is the big color for spring. That and orange are the only colors absent from my wardrobe!

AnneK said...

I think it had the potential to be good. The top part is definitely weird.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Ewww! Yellow and orange? Say it ain't so! I don't like either of those colors. I'm a pink, blue, black, and white girl myself.

Old Navy only had the patterned dress online, but in the stores they had more of them in solid colors. Those are the ones that really made me think of the Eloi! That, or a 7th-grade home ec project. Hanging on the racks they just looked like sacks made into dresses.

Ann said...

Yeah, I'm not much of a dress person anyway. That particular dress is one I wouldn't pick up and try on.