Married to the Empire

Friday, February 29, 2008

All clean!

I posted last week about my extreme embarrassment that our pastor came over when the house was a complete wreck. I even showed a picture of my disaster of a craft room, then said cleaning it was a priority. Well, I went at it slowly, but it is finally done!





I'm pleased with some of the little details I've added. When looking for more storage space a while back, I found a couple of cute, very inexpensive baskets at Goodwill. They now hold my stamp sets and notecards.




Putting the stamp sets in a basket freed up a ton of space for my individual stamps. I can now see them all in their allotted drawer.



After we had the leaks fixed under our house back in September, I did some major culling of items we no longer used and repurposing of other items. One thing I couldn't quite part with, even though we never had need of it, was a silver champagne/ice bucket. I finally figured out what to do with it.



I also have a two-tiered silver serving tray that I'd never done a thing with. I don't do a lot of entertaining, and when I do, it rarely involves the use of fancy items. I pulled this out of the closet where it had been gathering dust and tarnish, polished it up, and put it to new use as a pretty way to store some of my ribbons. I can't take credit for this idea, though. I think I saw it done in Country Living.



In reorganizing my writing books, I ran across an old Webster's paperback dictionary. It's in terrible shape, and it's not very good, but I can't bear to part with it. We moved to Norway in the middle of my junior year of high school. My English class homework that I received my first day of school was to define several vocabulary words. That caused some panic in our house because it didn't occur to any of us to pack a dictionary in our suitcases or air shipment. Our reference books wouldn't arrive for another month or two, and this was back before anyone had the internet. My dad managed to find this English dictionary in the tiny English section of the local bookstore. I don't know why this junky copy of the dictionary feels so special to me, but because it does, it stays.



Oh, and that cool, steel buffalo next to the books? That was made by the husband of one of my internet friends. We did a gift exchange a while back, and that was one of the many things I received. I think it's very cool and a nice reminder of my friend.

You know what? It feels good to have a nice, clean workspace again!

4 comments:

JumpinJude said...

Well smack my tush and call you Martha Stewart... or something like that. Nice job, Anne Marie, nice job! But hey, even the before pictures told a happy story... these pictures just tell a happy and ORGANIZED story! :)

AnneK said...

It looks so organized! Ah today evening, my cleaning frenzy begins. Tomorrow we are having a ladies' tea and if I don't want any of them to faint I gotta get busy.

Nice story about the dictionary!!

Ann said...

It looks great! I love your pink chair and the bright blue accessories. I remember reading about that ice bucket, too! What was it like living in Norway? I'd love to hear about that.

Still Learning said...

I love your room! What's in your doll house? Mine's in storage...can't wait to get it back out someday!