Married to the Empire

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Banana Bread Bonanza

Yesterday I went to the grocery store for a few sale items, and I happened to run across this:



Only 99 cents for a huge bag of bananas! I haven't bought bananas in ages, so I decided on the spot to buy the bag and get busy baking.

I made 2 loaves of peanut butter banana bread (scroll down for recipe), 1 loaf of Crystal's quick and easy banana bread, and 5 dozen banana muffins (from Crystal's recipe) using the mini-muffin tins I bought for a song at a local thrift store.





I'll be sharing the mini muffins with our youth group on Sunday morning.

I cut all of the loaves in half. Since it's just Ruf and me, it makes more sense to have out only half a loaf at a time. That way there's no waste if we're tired of banana bread after a couple of days. I put one half in the fridge for now, and the other 5 halves were prepped for freezing. I always keep a box of bread bags on hand. To help prevent freezer burn, I use a straw to suck all the air out of the bag before putting it in the freezer.



Here's the recipe for the peanut butter banana bread:

1/3 cup cooking oil
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed, ripe bananas
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda

In a large bowl, cream oil, peanut butter, and sugar; beat in eggs and bananas. Add flour mixed with baking powder, salt, and soda alternately with banana combination; mix with each addition until combined. Pour batter into a greased 9x5x3" loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Makes one loaf.

4 comments:

AnneK said...

I made a loaf the other day. I have wheat allergy, so I can't eat those, but I like baking. Yours look delicious.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I made your peanut butter banana bread the other night. Loved it. That one is definitely added to my favourites. Thanks Ewok.

Sadie said...

oh! This looks delicious! I think I might make some of this tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Lacie, I'm so glad you liked it! I got the recipe from my sister. It was in one of her cookbooks, but I failed to write down the title. Oops.

Thanks for stopping by and reading!