Married to the Empire

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Interesting New Way to Buy Books

I can't even remember how I learned about this. I'm thinking that I must have read an article on MSN about it or something, but whatever it was that led me to discover BetterWorld.com, I'm glad it did.

It's an interesting concept (and I swear this isn't an ad--I'm just recounting my experience). They save books from landfills, charge nothing for shipping in the U.S., and you get to buy books for cheap. Most books appear to start about $3.48, which isn't bad for used books. They also sell new books, but you'd do better to buy those from Amazon.

What actually drew me in was the promise of shipping anywhere in the world for only $2.97/book. Considering I have 4 nieces in another country, and international shipping is ridiculously high and based on weight, this sounded good.

I decided to place an order a couple of weeks ago. I love M.M. Kaye, and I've wanted to read The Far Pavilions, but my library doesn't have it. I ordered if from BW for less than $4. I also bought Call Me Heller, That's My Name by Stella Pevsner for my niece. I loved this book as a child, and it's hard to find. (If you look at the used book sellers on Amazon, one seller wants a ridiculous $96 for it!) And as a lover of Noel Streatfeild's hard-to-find Shoes books, I jumped on the offer for Thursday's Child. That one was kind of expensive at around $10, but I really wanted it, and it was still cheaper than buying used from an Amazon seller and paying $4 shipping.



Everything arrived on Tuesday. Considering that The Far Pavilions is almost 1000 pages long and must weigh at least 5 lbs., free shipping truly is a bargain! I did have to pay a 15-cent carbon-offset tax, but that's a negligible amount. One of the books is a library discard, so it is nice knowing that a book in perfectly good shape was saved from a landfill.

Overall, I'm pleased with this company, and I'll likely do business with them again. And now that I know they really are legit and send the books out in the described condition, next time, I'll probably just have any books purchased for my nieces sent directly to them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the love, EwokGirl. We try our best.

For you and your readers, type in "jabbaread" and get 10% off your next order. Offer expires July 4 so get goin'.

Not sure Jabba would actually be a big reader but the image was too much to avoid...

Best,
Jack @ Better World Books

Cindy said...

I just found your blog and think it's great! I am a mom of 4 (soon to be 5!) kids, and my 2 boys who are 13 and 10 are Star Wars fanatics! I havent shown them your blog yet, but plan to! They are going to think you are just the most amazing woman in the world! I keep telling them they have to outgrow this obsession with Star Wars before they get married because their wives wont like it. however, I think you prove me wrong! I look forward to reading more of your blog!
God bless!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Blessedmama, thanks for stopping by! You'd be surprised how many Star Wars wives there are out there. Tell your boys that there is a good chance of finding a girl someday who loves Star Wars just as much (or at least tolerates it!).