Married to the Empire

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Knox Street and Book Shopping

Friday I did something I rarely do: I headed into Dallas for a fun day of shopping. I started by picking Steven up at his office to have lunch with him. Again, that's something I rarely do, so it was a nice treat for both of us. After I took him back to work, I headed down to Knox Street.

Knox Street is one of my favorite places to go, but it's a rare treat due to distance and cost. It's filled with fabulous, but expensive, shops. First stop was Sur La Table.



This is my favorite cooking store, and if I was wealthy, I could easily drop hundreds of dollars in a day in there! Since I'm not wealthy, I managed to get out for just under $20. Only $6 was spent on myself, I'm proud to say. The rest was spent on small gifts.

Next, I headed into Weir's. This is actually a furniture store, but the owners are Christians, so they have a Christian Book Nook inside the shop.



Weir's also has an old-fashioned candy counter inside. It's a fun place to look around.

I went into a couple of other stores (Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware) and didn't bother with others (Smith & Hawken, Pottery Barn). A fun store that I didn't have time for on Friday is Froggie's.



Froggie's is filled with cute little items and toys. I don't really know how to describe it other than to say that kids would love it, and it's a neat place to look around. They also have shop cats, which is a nice touch. At least, I assume they still have their shop cats. It's been a while since I've visited.

After leaving Knox Street, I drove over to the huge Half-Price Books on Northwest Highway.



I love this store! It's a great place to spend several hours if you have the time. It was getting late, so I didn't stick around for too long, but I did find a book for my niece that I've been meaning to buy. I picked up a copy for me, too, since my copy was lent out and returned looking as if it had gone through a shredder!

I then headed home for a very brief time. I needed to wrap a gift to take to a birthday party. That gift is what actually sparked the big shopping trip. My friend Sandy loves to bake, so I wanted to give her something that she would enjoy, but might not buy for herself: Madagascar vanilla beans.



It's just a small indulgence that I figured she'd enjoy. I wrapped it up, then headed out to the party.

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Looks like a fun outing! I always appreciate when people give small indulgences they know I'll use but wouldn't purchase for myself. That was really thoughtful of you.