Married to the Empire

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Various Thoughts

First, I'd like to say that I completely realize the irony of having this post right after this one.

Second, I'm feeling a little desperate. Any migraine sufferers will totally understand why this sight puts me in panic mode:



I attempted taking B-Complex vitamins based on something I read in The People's Pharmacy about how it helped someone with migraines. But did you know that ODing on B vitamins can cause migraines? After 3 solid weeks of daily migraines, even on the days I took my menstrual migraine drug, it occurred to me that it might be the vitamins. I stopped taking them, and the daily migraines stopped. But I'm now out of my reliable pain meds. I'm hoping my prescription arrives in the mail today.

Third, I'm still working on learning to sew. My current project that I'm attempting is dish towels. I made a prototype (rather badly, unfortunately, as I can't seem to figure out mitered corners), and had to wash it several times to make sure it would actually absorb water. I didn't want to waste time making dish towels that wouldn't work.



Fourth, I'm growing things. Thanks to inspiration from Junkmale and Harmony, as well as my friend Patti, I'm actually attempting to garden. I started seeds a few weeks ago, and things are actually growing! My deck is now covered in pots with what I hope will grow into actual vegetables. My garlic is doing the best, so that's what I'll show you:



Fifth, the reading teacher I worked with back when I was tutoring emailed me today. Only 2 of my students did not pass the reading portion of the TAKS test. My success rate is down from last year's 100%, but this isn't bad, especially as this year's students struggled far more.

5 comments:

JunkMale said...

Hooray for gardening! And hooray that we were the inspiration! Did you plant garlic from the store, or did you get bulbs from somewhere else?

So what else are you growing? I fully expect to see a post dedicated to this container garden project of your's ;)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Let's see... I've got 2 types of tomatoes, jalapenos, green peppers, sweet peppers (but I don't think they'll survive), leeks, chives, green onions, and something else but I forgot what it is. I didn't show any other pictures because my seedlings are all a little pathetic right now. Honestly, I'm not sure anything is going to truly survive, but I'm trying.

Oh, and the garlic was just stuff from the grocery store. I'd kept it a tad too long, and it started sprouting in the fridge, so I planted the cloves. It seems to be happy, which is good.

Kristen said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog lately. I, too, am a Star Wars fan. I, too, am a Christian. I, too, have migraines! Going to a chiropractor has helped immensely with the frequency and severity of the migraines. Plus, I just started taking feverfew again. It's a herb and I took it before I started having kids, but then stopped for a while. But it's supposed to help keep the blood vessels in your head from constricting. I noticed a difference when I took it before. Maybe it'd help you.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Hi, Kristen! Thanks for stopping by!

I've tried both feverfew and the chiropractor. Neither were of any help. In fact, I saw the chiropractor for months, then he finally told me that there was nothing more he could do for me. I took feverfew for a couple of years. I noticed no difference when I went off of it. :-(

Believe me, I've tried practically everything there is to try, including several of the pharmaceutical preventives, which all had horrible side effects.

I keep my migraines somewhat controlled through diet, but it's not a total fix.

Jen said...

HI! You know I understand the migraine issues. My neuro and I have been trying a few things recently and discovered some issues in my bloodwork.

I am glad you figured out it was the vitamins. Could cutting them in half and taking 1/2 every other day possibly work?