Married to the Empire

Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Little More Sewing

I made 12 dish towels before I remembered to add twill tape for hanging them from a hook. Unfortunately, only 4 towels managed to get this little professional-looking touch. Oops.



While I had the sewing machine out with various colors of thread inserted, I decided to try making some ribbon headbands. I found the idea in this book and decided to run with it. Back in the 1990s, I was big into hair ribbons. I loved them, and I still have my (large) collection. I took a few of those ribbons that were simply taking up space and made them into these:



If you look carefully, you'll see that I didn't do an extraordinary job in sewing them. Nor did I bother with perfectly matching thread. The messy sewn parts wind up being hidden under the hair, so I decided it didn't matter if it looked neat and perfect. The buttons came from my enormous stash of buttons that are mostly the extras that come with new clothing. Some of the clothes that go with the buttons in my stash have been gone for years.

8 comments:

AnneK said...

I had no idea it was called a twill tape. I always wondered what it was for!

Anonymous said...

I like the ribbon headbands a lot. I never can figure out how to wear them without making an unsightly bump underneath my hair, or having them slide right off, though. Any hints? (With my current short hair, it's irrelevant anyway, though!)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Becky, I don't know about the bump. Maybe use thinner ribbon? As for the sliding, I definitely am of no help there! I bought a gorgeous, silk headband last summer, and I never wear it because it slides! Actually, I've contemplated putting something rubbery on the back of it to see if that would help...

How short is your hair now? I'm having trouble picturing you with anything but long hair!

Jodi said...

neat idea!

Anonymous said...

AM, it has been too long since we've seen each other. (Nine years? Last summer I got my hair cut short and my ears pierced for the first time ever. I attributed it to a mid-life crisis, but DH says you have to be at least 40 for that. Quarter-life crisis, then. Here's a fairly recent photo:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll53/PigletMeToo/004-2.jpg

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Becky, I know; it's been forever since we've seen each other! Please let me know if you visit the Dallas area! The short hair is cute on you! Dang. It's hard to realize we're not 22 anymore! (If you look at my picture, you can see some of my gray hairs! Eek!)

*carrie* said...

Cute. I never think I'd look good in a headband of any sort, but maybe I should give it another try, because I like these . . .

Anonymous said...

Cute headbands! I have short hair and have been thinking about trying one. I saw oh what's her name from Pirates of the Caribbean...can't think of her name, but her hair KEIRA KNIGHTLY I think, anyway, her hair was short like mine and she had a headband in, it looked kind of cute. Yours are super cute!

Oh wow! My word varification code is hosea! heehee :)