Married to the Empire

Friday, May 25, 2007

A catly vigil

Poor Doogie. His little internal clock tells him every day when it's 2pm. That's the approximate time our mail arrives. This is important to him because most days I allow him to walk outside with me when I get the mail. (Calvin is not afforded this privilege as he is exceedingly naughty when allowed to walk freely outside. He must be carried, put on a leash, or left inside.) Doogie just enjoys sniffing the garden, gnawing on grass, or just watching the birds, whom he sometimes finds very scary.

Doogie has no concept of 2 things: rainy days and Sundays. On Sundays my poor little baby sits by the front door for hours, meowing at me whenever I walk by. I tell him that there is no mail on Sundays, but he tells me that he doesn't know what mail is, nor does he care. He just wants out. Rainy days also leave him confused. I have no interest in cleaning up muddy paws, and I also know that water falling from the sky would completely freak him out, so inside he must stay.

Today is a rainy day, so I went out for the mail by myself. Doogie has now kept vigil by the front door for more than 4 hours. I've explained to him about the rain, but he just refuses to understand. So, in honor of his sad little vigil, I leave you with one of my favorite photos of him:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a cat person but I have been getting a kick out of your cat blogs. You really should but your writing talent to use and start a book. Your writing is so easy to read. It's mostly everyday normal stuff but you have a knack for making it entertainment.
-Emerson

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Awww...thanks, Em! I've thought about doing that and just haven't ever gotten around to it. I have had one of their stories published, so I really should try doing it again.