Married to the Empire

Friday, May 18, 2007

Trying new cookbooks

I'm a bit of a cookbook fiend. I love the things! I enjoy reading them, finding new recipes to try, and whenever I go to the bookstore, I always find several that I'd love to buy. However, experience has taught me that I don't use a lot of what has caught my fancy.

My solution is to use the library to try new cookbooks. I check out interesting-looking cookbooks, try a few recipes, then if I find myself gravitating back to a particular book, I'll buy it. After I checked out the More with Less Cookbook 3 or 4 times, I finally bought it. Other cookbooks were fun for the novelty, but I never went back to them, so I didn't bother buying them. I figure this little method has saved me tons of money that I would have otherwise wasted indulging in my cookbook fixation.

Check out more frugal tips at Biblical Womanhood.

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Great idea, since cookbooks are made to look wonderful and enticing. You really don't know how good it is for you until you use it for a bit.

Anonymous said...

This is a huge money-saver for me; I love checking cookbooks out at the library. (Of course, it would be a bigger money-saver if I remembered to return them before I got late fees!)

Amy said...

Excellent idea! I am a cookbook fiend myself and have several books that seemed very appealing, but have wound up being used only once or twice.

Martha A. said...

I do this too! More with less is one though that is so worth buying!