Married to the Empire

Friday, June 15, 2007

Good Granola/Bad Granola

Wednesday morning I was in a rush. I'd overslept and was in danger of being late for my job as substitute church secretary. No time to eat breakfast at home, so I put some yogurt in a transportable bowl and tossed some granola on top of it. Ordinarily, this is a great breakfast because I make a very yummy peanut butter granola that makes yogurt a bearable thing to eat.

This was not the case on Wednesday morning.

I'd run out of my granola, so I'd bought some pumpkin granola at Sprouts last week. It smelled good in the bin. It looked good in the bin. It tasted decent when I tried it. It became a thing of revulsion when mixed with yogurt.

I instant messaged a friend to ask if our church secretary kept any food stashes in the office. She said she didn't think so. I told my friend that I always kept food at work when I was a teacher. My friend said she does, too. She went on to list some healthy things she keeps around, such as nuts and fruit. Feeling like a total slob, I confessed that I always kept animal crackers and candy in my desk. (But hey, my students LOVED me when I'd get a desperate need for some pick-me-up sugar. Being a firm believer in not indulging in something unless everyone can indulge, I'd pass out candy to the whole class so I could get my sugar fix without feeling like a jerk.)

I decided that when I got home, I'd better make a new batch of Easy Peanut Butter Granola. I got this recipe off of Tammy's website. I stumbled across this cooking blog a few months ago, and I highly recommend it! Here's the finished product:


When Ruf came home from work, he got all excited because he thought he smelled peanut butter cookies. Nope, just granola.

No comments: