Married to the Empire

Friday, June 15, 2007

Good Reads and Great Deals

I am currently reading the Mediator series by Meg Cabot. One of the girls in our youth group at church recommended these books to me, and she lent me her copies of the series. However, she's missing book 3. I'm almost done with book 2, so this is a problem. I went on a hunt today for that third book. It was an unsuccessful hunt, but I did find some other things to buy. Of course. ;-)

I'm a huge fan of Half-Price Books. It's a great place to unload books I don't want for cash, and it's an even better place to buy more books at low prices.

I've been searching for The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I still haven't found it. However, I did find another book of the same name. The Bread Bible by Beth Hensperger looks to be a good substitute. At only $9.98, it was a bargain! I can't wait to try it out!

I found a copy of The Message version of the Bible. While I'm not a big fan of this version, it is a nice, everyday narrative form of the bible, and I believe it may come in handy when teaching our middle school Sunday school class. Sometimes, it helps to put things in a simpler form of English. This book was only $12.98.

I also bought an audio copy of The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson. I don't really know what to expect, but as an animal lover, it sounds like a good listen. At only $2 for the audio book, it seemed worth a try.



I also found a few magazines. All magazines before 2006 were priced at only $1. I found a new magazine today called Stamper's Sampler. There were many copies in like-new condition of this fabulous magazine. Tons of ideas for making my cards! I limited myself to only 5 issues.

Also among the magazines were several copies of Fantasy & Science Fiction. This is another magazine, which is really more of a book, that I'd never heard of before. I'm a sci-fi fan, so I look forward to reading the sci-fi short stories inside and hopefully discovering new authors.

No comments: